Liver Transplants: A Waiting List Snapshot
Save 9: National Donate Life Month with Ochsner
What I Would Say to My Organ Donor’s Family
Who We Are: Meet the Ochsner Transplant Team
Organ Donation: What’s True or False?
Six Common Organ Donation Myths Debunked
The Donor Registry – Are You Registered?
Be One in a Million
Infant Car Seat Safety
Training-Day Nutrition vs. Game-Day Nutrition
The Top 5 Most Addictive Foods
Don't Let a Concussion Rain on Your Mardi Gras Parade
4 Ways Business Owners Can Stay Healthy While Hustling
Can Cold Weather Make Health Conditions Worse?
Does Decluttering Give You Joy? These 5 People Don’t Think So.
The Ochsner Hospital for Children Pediatric Liver Transplant program is part of the Ochsner Multi-Organ Transplant Institute Liver Transplant Program that has been ranked #1 in the nation for the past five years. Ochsner has the only pediatric liver transplant program in the state of Louisiana. Ochsner has performed more than 2,000 liver transplants, making Ochsner the most experienced liver transplant center in the Gulf South and giving patients and their families confidence in our expertise.
The Pediatric Liver Transplant team includes:
- Dedicated transplant surgeons
- Dedicated pediatric gastroenterologist and hepatologist
- Pediatric pharmacist
- Social worker
- Child life specialist
The patients are cared within our Multi-Organ Transplant Institute but with a dedicated focus on our pediatric patients. The program follows patients with congenital defects such as biliary atresia, inherited liver conditions, metabolic disorders and liver tumors.
Why have a transplant at the Ochsner Multi-Organ Transplant Institute?
- Ochsner is recognized as #1 in the nation for liver transplants, by CareChex.
- Ochsner liver transplant patients have shorter wait times than the national median.
- Ochsner liver transplant patients have better survival rates than the national rates.
- Ochsner is the only Medicare-approved liver transplant program in New Orleans and a Center of Excellence for many insurers including Kaiser Permanente.
- Ochsner remains one of the nation’s most active liver transplant programs conducting over 200 liver transplants annually.
- Ochsner surgeons have performed more than 2,000 adult and pediatric liver transplant operations, making Ochsner the most experienced liver transplant center in the Gulf South.
- Our hepatologists are leading the nation on the cutting-edge of clinical research, including treatment of viral hepatitis that allows many patients to avoid transplantation altogether.
- Our surgeons are also experienced in split liver transplants, reduced size liver transplants and living-related liver transplantation in adults and children.
- Quick, direct flights are available to Ochsner from across the country
- Short wait times for transplantation
- Reduced transplant surgery times
- Shorter time in critical care and hospital stays
- Lodging is available onsite at the Brent House Hotel and nearby to create a collaborative long-term care effort between the Ochsner team, your referring physician and your family and you
- Interdisciplinary team approach to care consisting of physicians, nurses, pharmacists, nurse practitioners, dieticians, financial coordinators and social workers
After transplantation, Ochsner closely follows care for all patients. We take pride in creating an environment that supports the needs of our patients and their families.