The Ochsner Hospital for Children Pediatric Liver Transplant program is the only active pediatric liver transplant program in the state of Louisiana. We offer a full range of liver transplant options, including split and reduced livers, as well as living donor liver transplants. Ochsner has performed more than 2,000 liver transplants, making Ochsner the most experienced liver transplant center in the Gulf South and giving patients and their families confidence in our expertise.
The Pediatric Liver Transplant team includes:
- Dedicated transplant surgeons
- Dedicated pediatric gastroenterologists and hepatologist
- Pediatric pharmacist
- Social worker
- Nurse coordinator
- Child life specialist
Conditions which may lead to liver transplantation in children and adolescents:
- Biliary atresia
- Metabolic conditions (e.g. proprionic acidemia, ornithine transcobamylase deficiency, maple syrup urine disease, glycogen storage disease, tyrosinemia, etc)
- Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency
- Wilson disease
- Portal hypertension
- Alagille syndrome
- Autoimmune hepatitis
- Sclerosing cholangitis
- Acute liver failure
- Progressive familial intrahepatic cholestasis
- Hepatocellular carcinoma
Why have a transplant at the Ochsner Multi-Organ Transplant Institute?
- Ochsner liver transplant patients have shorter wait times than the national median.
- Ochsner liver transplant patients have better survival rates than the national rates.
- Ochsner is the only Medicare-approved liver transplant program in New Orleans and a Center of Excellence for many insurers including Kaiser Permanente.
- Our team works collaboratively with referring physicians to allow patients outside of the New Orleans metro area to be cared for closer to home, before and after transplant, when appropriate.
- Ochsner is one of the nation’s most active liver transplant programs conducting over 200 liver transplants annually.
- Ochsner surgeons have performed more than 2,000 adult and pediatric liver transplant operations, making Ochsner the most experienced liver transplant center in the Gulf South.
- Our hepatologists are leading the nation on the cutting-edge of clinical research, including treatment of viral hepatitis that allows many patients to avoid transplantation altogether.
- Our surgeons are also experienced in split liver transplants, reduced size liver transplants and living-related liver transplantation in adults and children.
- Quick, direct flights are available to Ochsner from across the country
- Short wait times for transplantation
- Reduced transplant surgery times
- Shorter time in critical care and hospital stays
- Lodging is available onsite at the Brent House Hotel and nearby to create a collaborative long-term care effort between the Ochsner team, your referring physician and your family.
- Interdisciplinary team approach to care consisting of physicians, nurses, pharmacists, nurse practitioners, dieticians, psychologists, financial coordinators and social workers
After transplantation, Ochsner closely follows care for all patients. We take pride in creating an environment that supports the needs of our patients and their families.