Ochsner Sports Medicine Institute
Whether you’re a professional athlete, a weekend warrior or somewhere in-between, the Ochsner Sports Medicine Institute has what you need to get back in the game as quickly and as safely as possible. Our team of sports medicine specialists is equipped with an unparalleled depth of experience, the latest diagnostic imaging technology and cutting-edge rehabilitation equipment. With evidence-based practices and thoughtful strategies, we work to get you back on the field, in the pool, in the gym or on the court in no time.
The Team That Takes Care of the Team
Meet Our Team
Learn more about our team of sports medicine physicians.
The Ochsner Sports Medicine team includes nationally and internationally recognized orthopedic surgeons, fellowship trained in sports medicine; a sports medicine physician with expertise in orthobiologics; on-site nurses; more than 80 highly qualified athletic trainers; performance training coaches; and sports medicine assistants and navigators who work to facilitate the practice. Ochsner’s occupational and physical therapists are part of our team as well. Moreover, 7% of our orthopedic surgeons are female, and 17% of Ochsner Hospital for Orthopedics and Sports Medicine is female.
What’s more, as part of the largest health system in the region, we’re able to collaborate with the most experienced specialists and sub-specialists available. Together, our sports medicine team works not just to prevent misdiagnosis of sports injuries and not just to get you back on your feet, but to get you in the best condition of your life. Our team cares for the entire athlete through our athletic training services, physician services, outpatient therapy and wellness, our fitness center and performance training.
Ochsner accepts most major insurances. View insurances accepted at Ochsner.
The research team at the Ochsner Sports Medicine Institute is committed to furthering medical knowledge through research to develop and identify new treatments for a variety of sports injuries and orthopedic conditions. The team is actively pursuing the latest treatments and rehabilitation ideas through many diverse research projects. We use various types of research studies to do this, including:
- Clinical studies
- Outcomes studies
- Interventional studies
The results of the studies are reviewed, and any new findings are shared with other physicians through published articles and academic presentations. The Ochsner Sports Medicine Institute physicians have presented their research findings to providers throughout the United States and internationally to further the field of Sports Medicine and improve the care of patients everywhere.
If you are seen in our clinic, you may be asked if you are interested in participating in a study. The choice is always yours. We want what’s best for you.
Our team is actively conducting research on the following:
- Cartilage injuries in the knee
- Femoracetabular Impingement (hip)
- ACL injuries
- High Tibial Osteotomies (HTOs)
- Autologous Chondrocyte Implantation (ACI)
- Meniscal Transplants
- Labral treatment during hip arthroscopy
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Injections
Learn more about research the Ochsner Sports Medicine Department is conducting along with clinical trials.
- Articular cartilage degeneration: etiologic association with obesity. Jones DG. Source: Department of Sports Medicine, Ochsner Clinic Foundation, New Orleans, LA.
- The Treatment of Inguinal Pain. William S. Richardson, MD, Deryk G. Jones, MD, J. Christian Winters, MD, and Matthew A. McQueen, MD, MA
- Autologous chondrocyte implantation. Jones DG, Peterson L. Source: Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Ochsner Clinic Foundation, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA.
Sports Medicine Research Office
Services We Provide
- Comprehensive care of sports- and fitness-related injuries
- Total athletic performance training program in New Orleans and Covington
- Same-day appointments and follow-up care
- State-of-the-art diagnostic imaging
- Outpatient rehabilitation/physical therapy
- Preventative care and patient education
Ochsner’s Athletic Training Outreach Program
Ochsner Sports Medicine Center is proud to provide athletic training services to several area schools, colleges, professional sports teams and recreational teams in Greater New Orleans, on the North Shore, and in Baton Rouge.
Concussion Management Program
The Ochsner Concussion Management Program is the first of its kind in Louisiana. Our program is designed to tailor rehabilitation to an individual's specific needs. Patients are assessed by board-certified physicians experienced in the field of concussion management. Following evaluation and assessment, patients will receive prompt treatment, including medical care from a physician, ongoing services (e.g., serial assessment, concussion education, counseling, return to play surveillance, cognitive therapy) and if necessary, a referral to our extensive network of additional pediatric specialists and ancillary medical professionals. An individualized approach to developing an appropriate Return to Play protocol is emphasized.
Our program utilizes a state-of-the-art computerized neurocognitive assessment, called ImPACT. It is currently used for professional athletes including those in the NFL, NHL, NASCAR, professional boxing and over 400 colleges and universities across the country. The use of computerized neurocognitive assessment enables our doctors to conduct a simple, 25-minute evaluation of an athlete's neurocognitive status (i.e., memory, processing speed and other related functions) following concussion.
Athletes/patients in this clinic will also undergo a broader neurologic and physical examination in order to ensure that all the information needed for the proper evaluation and treatment of mild head trauma is obtained. The program's primary focus is on expediting the concussed athlete's safe return to the field of play using the most current, up-to-date guidelines in concussion management. In doing this, we aim to significantly reduce the athlete's risk of repeat concussion, long-term neuro-cognitive deficits and potential catastrophic events such as second impact syndrome.
With a focus on total athletic performance and producing top talent, Ochsner Performance Training provides a comprehensive program for our region – with locations in New Orleans and Covington. By teaching best practices and safety in sports performance, led by educated professionals and a diverse group of performance specialists, we are committed to the evolving needs of our community — fueled by our relentless pursuit of innovation and powered by science.
- Achilles tendon injury
- Achilles tendonitis
- Ankle sprains
- Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injuries
- Articular cartilage repair
- Clavicle fracture (broken shoulder)
- Common sports injuries
- Uncommon sports injuries
- Hamstring pull
- Hamstring tear
- Hamstring strain
- Knee pain and ligament injuries
- Iliotibial (IT) band friction syndrome
- Meniscus tears
- Plantar fasciitis
- Shin splints
- Shoulder tendonitis (rotator cuff problems)
- Shoulder bursitis
- Shoulder impingement syndrome
- Stress fracture
- Tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis)
- Torn rotator cuff
Greater New Orleans:
North Shore Region:
- Slidell: 104 Medical Center Drive, Slidell, LA 70461
- Covington: 1000 Ochsner Blvd., Covington, LA 70433
- 10310 The Grove Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70836
- 16777 Medical Center Drive, Baton Rouge, LA 70816
- 4845 Main St., Ste. D, Zachary, LA 70791