Surgery is performed for any number of reasons. You may need surgery after an accident, or you may need surgery to remove a tumor. Many people have surgery to improve their quality of life, while others need surgery to save their lives.
In general, there are four classifications of surgery, each of which may impact how quickly your surgery is scheduled or performed:
- Emergency or immediate surgery. This type of surgery is performed as quickly as possible, when every second matters to save a life, limb or organ. An emergency surgery might be performed after a heart attack, stroke or traumatic brain injury.
- Urgent surgery. This kind of surgery is performed within hours, or possibly days, of the onset of problems. Urgent surgery might be performed after you break a bone or have an abdominal injury.
- Expedited or non-urgent surgery. This surgery may happen within days or weeks after your doctor recommends surgery. This type of surgery includes cancer surgery and surgical procedures for orthopedic injuries.
- Elective surgery. These surgeries may be planned months in advance. Some may be medically necessary, such as gallbladder removal or joint replacement, while other procedures may be purely elective, such as cosmetic plastic surgery.
Before, during and after your surgery, you will be cared for by some of the most skilled and experienced medical professionals. Our surgeons, anesthesiologists, nurses, specialists, social workers and other healthcare professionals work with you and your family to ensure a safe, smooth and comfortable surgery and recovery.
If you have any questions or concerns, please call the Preoperative Center at 504-842-4526 or 1-866-727-1910. Rest assured, you have a wealth of resources, a tradition of caring and healthcare with peace of mind at Ochsner.
In order to best meet your pre-admission needs, we would like you to call our office at 504-897-5900 and schedule a preoperative appointment.
Ochsner general surgeons provide laparoscopic and open procedures for treating conditions of the gallbladder, intestinal tract (esophagus, stomach, small intestine, colon and rectum), head and neck, hernias, skin and soft tissue. Ochsner Medical Center - Baton Rouge offers the latest laparoscopic and minimally invasive techniques, which can be performed with a camera through small incisions. The most common general surgery procedures performed at our facility include:
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy (removal of gallbladder)
- Laparoscopic and open colectomy (removal of colon)
- Laparoscopic and open hernia repair
- Insertion of intravenous access device for chemotherapy
- Removal or biopsy of tumors or masses
- Laparoscopic fundoplication for acid reflux disease
- Breast conservation therapy for breast cancer (lumpectomy)
- Thoracoscopic and open surgery for lung cancer and other lung diseases
- Removal of thyroid and parathyroid glands
To schedule a surgical consultation please call the general surgery clinic at 225-761-5459.
Our staff is made up of physicians, nurses and other healthcare professionals who will support your physical and emotional needs throughout the surgery experience. Ochsner Medical Center - Kenner provides the full range of services, such as:
- Ears, nose, & throat (ENT)
- Emergency and trauma
- General surgery
- Cancer care
- Hand and upper extremity care
- Abdominal surgery and Whipple procedure
- Gallbladder removal and hernia repair
We realize how difficult this time can be. It is our goal to provide you with detailed instructions to properly prepare you for your surgery. Your questions and concerns are important to the staff at Ochsner Medical Center - Kenner. Please feel free to discuss them with any member of your healthcare team.