Kidney and Kidney-Pancreas Transplants
Why have a transplant at the Ochsner Multi-Organ Transplant Institute?
- Second largest combined Kidney-Pancreas program by volume in the nation in 2014
- Better survival rates than the national rates
- Medicare-approved transplant program
- Transplant Center of Excellence for many insurers
- One-Day Work-Up: Offers patients a one-day work-up with pre-transplant medical, psychosocial and financial consultations conveniently scheduled on the same day.
- Shorter hospital stays following transplantation get you home sooner.
- One of the nation's most active kidney/kidney-pancreas transplant programs, performing more than 178 transplants in 2014
- More than 2,000 kidney/kidney-pancreas transplants performed in adults and children
- Multi-disciplinary team approach to care that includes physicians, advance practice providers, nurses, pharmacists, dieticians, social workers, financial coordinators and other healthcare providers
Ochsner closely monitors all patients after transplantation. We take pride in creating an environment that supports the needs of our patients and their families.
Onsite lodging is available at the Brent House Hotel. There are also other nearby lodging options.
The Ochsner Multi-Organ Transplant Institute team is dedicated to working with patients, their families and referring physicians to deliver the highest quality of care. Comprehensive evaluations before transplant are performed at Ochsner Medical Center in New Orleans or in collaboration with referring physicians.
After the initial evaluation, recommendations regarding candidacy for transplantation are provided by a multi-disciplinary committee. These recommendations are given to both the patient and referring physician. Transplant candidates are then placed on a national register to wait for the availability of a cadaveric organ.
The Louisiana Organ Procurement Agency (LOPA) facilitates the recovery of donor organs and is one of the most effective organ procurement organizations in the country. Living donations are encouraged for patients seeking kidney transplantation.
Care before and after transplant is provided at Ochsner on a floor dedicated solely to the care of transplant patients. It is one of the many ways we work hard to lessen the stresses of transplantation.
We not only deliver excellent medical care to our transplant patients, but also address the emotional, financial and practical support issues so often faced by transplant patients and their families. Ochsner is a Medicare-approved transplant center for kidney and kidney-pancreas transplantation as well as a Center of Excellence for many insurers.