Ochsner's Department of Infectious Diseases provides a variety of services primarily related to prevention and treatment of disease caused by infectious agents. These include infections caused by viruses, bacteria, fungi and parasites. The physicians in this section are trained and board certified in internal medicine and have an additional two years of training and board certification in the specialty of Infectious Diseases.
Examples of the type of problems that infectious disease physicians have expertise in diagnosing and treating include:
- Infections of the respiratory tract (sinus infections, bronchitis and pneumonia)
- Infections of bone and joints
- Urinary tract infections
- Skin and soft tissue infections
- Infections of the heart valve (infective endocarditis)
- Sexually transmitted diseases
- HIV infection
- West Nile infection
- Infections that occur in persons with abnormal immunity
Ochsner provides a full complement of services for immunizations and up-to-date advisories to international travelers including safety and health precautions for travel in foreign countries. Outpatient administration of intravenous antibiotics is also provided. The Infectious Diseases staff, in their capacity as internal medicine specialists, also participate in the Executive Health Program.