The human nervous system helps control how we interpret the world around us, as well as how we react — both voluntarily and involuntarily. A neurological injury or condition can affect anything from our motor skills to our mood and memory, making timely and accurate diagnosis and state-of-the-art treatment of utmost importance should symptoms appear.
The Ochsner Neurosciences Institute’s reputation for comprehensive clinical care has made it a nationwide destination center for patients with neurological conditions. Ochsner’s expert neuroscience team specializes in a wide range of treatments for adult and pediatric neurological conditions, including seizures, self-care education techniques for chronic headaches, and an innovative, minimally invasive therapy for Parkinson’s disease.
Why Ochsner for Neurology and Neurosurgery Care?
- Ochsner is top-ranked in Louisiana for Medical Excellence in Neurological Care, and ranks as #11 in the nation for neurological care, according to CareChex.
- U.S. News & World Report 2016-2017 Best Hospitals listing ranks Ochsner as #23 in the entire United States for neurology and neurosurgery, and Ochsner is the only hospital ranked for neurology care in Louisiana.
Coordinated, efficient care — in one location
- Ochsner’s neuroscience team of physicians, advanced practice clinicians, nurses and other specialists evaluate, treat and help patients manage neurologic conditions in both inpatient and outpatient settings, including one’s home. Not in New Orleans? No problem. We have offices throughout Louisiana and offer initiatives like the TeleStroke Program, which has reached more than 6,600+ patients across the state.
Industry-leading technology and techniques
- Premier imaging helps identify dementia, brain disorders and other conditions, while innovative treatments like deep brain stimulation have proven effective to help treat movement disorders and Parkinson’s disease. Non-surgical treatments for conditions like chronic back pain have helped patients improve their quality of life and reduce the degree of pain and disability.
Areas of Expertise
- General adult neurology
- Pain in the extremities
- Double vision
- Memory disorders
- Memory loss, including Alzheimer’s disease
- Cognitive impairments or age-related changes
- Epilepsy and seizures
- convulsions, epilepsy monitoring unit (EMU) follow-up
- Movement disorders
- including Parkinson’s disease, essential tremor, dystonia, Huntington’s disease, Muscle Spasticity, Gait (walking) instability, and others
- Headache disorders
- Head and face pain, including trigeminal neuralgia
- Autonomic cephalgias, including cluster headache
- Nerve and muscle disorders
- Including carpal tunnel syndrome, ALS, Myasthenia Gravis, EMG studies for neuropathy diagnosis, Bell’s palsy, Myopathy
- Sports neurology and concussions, including traumatic brain injuries
- Vascular Neurology, including hospital follow-ups
- Multiple sclerosis
- Pediatric neurology
- Rehabilitation and therapy
- Physical, occupational and speech therapy
- Stroke, spinal cord or head injury, and neurological diseases
- Gait disorders