If something goes wrong with a part of the brain, spinal cord or nerves, surgery could be the most appropriate and life-saving treatment — and it’s essential to select a team of neurosurgeons with a demonstrated track record of utilizing latest technology and surgical techniques to obtain highest quality of care for patients. Neurosurgeons across our health system perform more than 1,500 adult and pediatric surgeries every year. Our team specializes in treating patients of all ages.
They are able to treat conditions including:
- Brain and spinal tumors
- Neurologic or degenerative conditions
- Parkinson’s disease
- Movement disorders
- Injuries to the spinal cord or brain
- Strokes, which affect the vessels that supply blood to the brain
- Surgical treatment of pain syndromes
- Degenerative & Conjunctile Spine Diseases
Here in Louisiana, we have more than our fair share of neurological issues. Studies show that our state is ranked #50 in brain health. In fact, New Orleans is home to the only hospital in the Gulf South nationally ranked in neurology by U.S. News & World Report. Ochsner Neurosciences is recognized by Healthgrades Neurosciences Excellence Award (TM) nine years in a row (2012-2020) and named among the Top 5% in the nation for Neurosciences for eight years in a row (2013-2020).
Our other recognitions include:
- The only neurosurgery program in Louisiana and one of only five centers in the US that offers in-utero surgery to repair spinal bifida in babies during pregnancy before they’re born.
- Visualase, a minimally invasive procedure that uses tiny fiber optic probes to help treat epilepsy.
- Deep brain stimulation (DBS), to help treat Parkinson’s, essential tremor and dystonia. Ochsner has the busiest DBS system in the state.
- Offers the most comprehensive spine care in the region by offering both cutting edge surgical (including minimally invasive surgeries) and non-surgical technologies.
- A wellness program, the Ochsner Therapy & Wellness Back Care Program, focused on comprehensive treatment approaches for individuals with sub-acute, chronic neck or back pain.
Why Ochsner Neurosurgery?
Nationally ranked quality
- U.S. News & World Report 2020-2021 Best Hospitals listing ranks Ochsner as #41 in the entire United States for neurology and neurosurgery, and Ochsner is the only hospital ranked in Louisiana.
- Recipient of the Healthgrades 2019 Cranial Neurosurgery Excellence Award (TM) and named among the Top 5% in the nation for Cranial Neurosurgery in 2019
The Ochsner Neuroscience Institute’s diagnostic and therapeutic technologies are top-of-the-line. Ochsner is among the Gulf South’s most experienced programs in stereotactic radiosurgery, a noninvasive, outpatient procedure that uses high-powered X-ray techniques to treat brain tumors.
The Brain and Spinal Tumors Program at Ochsner provides patients with the surgical and nonsurgical treatments they need with the convenience of effective, efficient, patient-centered and multi-disciplinary approach to care.
Access to Neurosurgery Care Across the Region
Patients can receive care from the Ochsner Neuroscience Institute in the following regions:
- Greater New Orleans area (New Orleans, Jefferson Hwy., Metairie, West Bank, Kenner)
- Baton Rouge
- North Shore (Slidell and Covington)
Adult & Pediatric Neurological Conditions Treated by our Neurosurgical Team:
- Malignant and benign brain tumors
- Cranial base diseases
- Functional neurologic disorders (movement disorders), including Parkinson's disease, obsessive compulsive disorder and epilepsy surgery
- NeuroGenetic diseases
- Neurovascular diseases, including brain aneurysms and surgery to prevent strokes
- Pediatric & developmental disorders, including hydrocephalus
- Pituitary tumors and neuroendocrine disorders
- Spine and peripheral nerve disorders, including conditions causing back and spine pain
- Traumatic brain injuries, emergency surgery, intensive care and general neurosurgery
- Trigeminal neuralgia and hemifacial spasm disorders