Can my child avoid surgery? What are the risks? How much missed school are we talking about?
When you bring your child to a pediatric orthopedist, you have questions. At Ochsner Hospital for Children, we believe knowledge is peace of mind, so we make time to listen and provide answers. You’ll find the Ochsner Pediatric Orthopedic team to be approachable, thorough and friendly. We judge ourselves not just on how well we treat our patients, but on how well we treat their families. Like you, we believe only the very best will do for your child.
Why Ochsner Hospital for Children for Pediatric Orthopedic Care?
Here at Ochsner, your child will be treated by a passionate, world-renowned team comprised of fellowship trained, board-certified physicians, nurse practitioners and dedicated medical assistants. Together, we treat a complete range of acquired and congenital orthopedic conditions – both common and rare – in infants, children and adolescents of all ages. We specialize in all aspects of pediatric orthopedic surgery including fractures, dislocations, ligament injuries, infections, spine surgery, hip surgery, and conditions of all aspects of the extremities.
Ochsner Hospital for Children offers innovative procedures that aren’t available anywhere else in the region. For instance, fewer than a dozen centers in the world offer spine growth modulation – a minimally invasive procedure that helps the spine heal itself. Ochsner Hospital for Children is one of the only hospitals in the country performing vertebral body tethering (VBT) and now has access to a new FDA approved device for this surgery. We also offer a new device called the MAGEC (MAGnetic Expansion Control) System used in young children with severe spinal deformities. Once implanted MAGEC spinal rods improve curvature and can be lengthened in the doctor’s office, without further surgery.
Ochsner Hospital for Children has the only Hip Preservation Center in the region specializing in complex hip disorders in children and young adults including Perthes, slipped capital femoral epiphysis, hip dysplasia, and impingement. We are able to perform complex hip procedures including femoral osteotomies, pelvic osteotomies including periacetabular osteotomy, surgical hip dislocation, and hip arthroscopy.
Our multidisciplinary neuromuscular and myelomeningocele clinics allow us to provide the best care for our most complex patients.
Ochsner Imaging Center is the only center in the region that offers EOS x-ray technology, which gets the best x-rays with much less radiation than other equipment.
Ochsner accepts most major insurances. View insurances accepted at Ochsner.
Shorter hospital stays. Less pain.
Whenever possible, the Ochsner pediatric orthopedics team opts for minimally invasive procedures and medicines after surgery that results in less pain and shorter hospital stays. Our rapid discharge protocols allow many of our surgical patients to go home to their families in two to three days instead of the standard four to five. We also go above and beyond to make sure our patients are given the right pain medication in the proper amounts. When appropriate, we offer non-operative options, including exercise and physical therapy.
Conditions We Treat
- Growth plate fractures
- Scoliosis (Juvenile and adolescent idiopathic scoliosis, congenital scoliosis, early onset scoliosis, neuromuscular scoliosis)
- Scheuermann's disease
- Hip dysplasia
- Femoroacetabular impingement
- Slipped capital femoral epiphysis
- Legg-Calve-Perthes disease
- Avascular necrosis of the hip
- Congenital and traumatic limb deformity
- Limb length discrepancy
- Knocked knees
- Bowed legs
- Blounts disease
- Patellar instability
- ACL tears
- Meniscus tears
- Osteochondritis dissecans
- Jumpers knee
- Metatarsus adductus
- Vertical talus
- Foot deformity
- Flat feet
- Tarsal coalition
- Accessory navicular
- Congenital hand differences
- Trigger thumb
- Trigger finger
- Cerebral Palsy
- Spina bifida
- Muscular dystrophy
For questions about diagnosis and treatment for conditions not listed above, please call our office for further information.
Treatments We Offer
- Nonoperative and operative treatment of fractures and dislocations
- Posterior spinal fusion
- Spinal deformity growth modulation surgeries (vertebral body tethering)
- Growth friendly spine surgeries
- Complex hip surgeries such as femoral osteotomy, periacetabular osteotomy, surgical hip dislocation, and hip arthroscopy for treatment of various hip disorders
- Guided growth and limb realignment for limb deformities
- Guided growth and limb lengthening (including Precice nail) for limb length discrepancy
- Knee arthroscopy, medial patellofemoral ligament reconstruction, tibial tubercle osteotomy, ACL reconstruction, and meniscus repair
- Multi-disciplinary approach to the treatment of spina bifida
- Ponseti casting for clubfoot
- Surgical treatment of various foot problems
- Trigger thumb and syndactyly releases, polydactyly excisions
- Multi-disciplinary approach to the treatment of neuromuscular conditions such as cerebral palsy
- Bracing, soft tissue releases, and osteotomies for neuromuscular conditions
Find the Best Orthopedic Care for Your Child
At Ochsner Hospital for Children, our team provides exceptional pediatric orthopedic care for your child. Our physicians would be glad to meet with your family and help you find the answers you need.
- Dr. Lawrence L. Haber, Pediatric Orthopedics, Spine Specialist
- Dr. Sean Waldron, Pediatric Orthopedics & Pediatric Sports Medicine
- Dr. Brielle Plost, Pediatric Orthopedics & Hip Preservation Specialist
- Dr. Paul Celestre, Pediatric Orthopedics, Spine Specialist
- Dr. Leslie Sisco-Wise, Pediatric Orthopedics, Hand Specialist
- Colleen Story, NP, Pediatric Orthopedics
- Anna Strahan, NP, Pediatric Orthopedics