Kids and Casts
Overnight Woes: The Truth About Kids and Growing Pains
Train Like an Olympic Gymnast
Toe Walking: What’s the Big Deal?
School Physicals—What to Expect
Scoliosis: What Is It and How Do You Treat It?
Infant Car Seat Safety
Is My Child Ready to Go Back To School?
Cyberbullying & Social Media
Why Have Your Next Mammogram in 3D?
A Stage 1 Diagnosis Abroad - Tod Thedy's Story
3 Ways to Not Waste Your 2018 Health Insurance
What is a Virtual Visit?
There’s Been a Salmonella Outbreak. Now What?
8 Ways to Celebrate Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Can my child avoid surgery? What are the risks? How much missed school are we talking about?
When you bring your child to a pediatric orthopedist, you have questions. At Ochsner Hospital for Children, we believe knowledge is peace of mind, so we make time to listen and provide answers. You’ll find the Ochsner Pediatric Orthopedic team to be approachable, thorough and friendly. We judge ourselves not just on how well we treat our patients, but on how well we treat their families. Like you, we believe only the very best will do for your child.
Why Ochsner Hospital for Children for orthopedic care?
Here at Ochsner, your child will be treated by a passionate, world-renowned team comprised of fellowship trained, board-certified physicians, a nurse practitioner and dedicated medical assistants. Together, we treat a complete range of acquired and congenital orthopedic conditions – both common and rare – in infants, children and adolescents of all ages. We specialize in pediatric spine surgery, scoliosis, ankle surgery, and the treatment of children's fractures, dislocations, infections and tumors of the spine and extremities.
Ochsner Hospital for Children offers innovative procedures that aren’t available anywhere else in the region. For instance, fewer than a dozen centers in the world offer spine growth modulation – a minimally invasive procedure that helps the spine heal itself.
Ochsner Imaging Center is the only center in the region that offers EOS x-ray technology, which gets the best x-rays with much less radiation than other equipment.
We also offer a new device called the MAGEC (MAGnetic Expansion Control) System used in young children with severe spinal deformities. Once implanted MAGEC spinal rods improve curvature and can be lengthened in the doctor’s office, without further surgery.
Shorter hospital stays. Less pain.
Whenever possible, the Ochsner pediatric orthopedics team opts for minimally invasive procedures and medicines after surgery that results in less pain and shorter hospital stays. Our rapid discharge protocols allow many of our surgical patients to go home to their families in two to three days instead of the standard four to five. We also go above and beyond to make sure our patients are given the right pain medication in the proper amounts. When appropriate, we offer non-operative options, including exercise and physical therapy.
Conditions We Treat:
- Spinal deformity, including scoliosis and kyphosis
- Other pediatric spinal conditions, including spondylolysis and spondylolisthesis
- Pediatric sports medicine, including patellar instability, ACL tears, meniscus tears and osteochondritis dissecans
- Fractures and dislocations
- Cerebral palsy and other neuromuscular conditions
- Spina bifida
- Hip diseases, including Legg-Calve-Perthes Disease, Slipped capital femoral epiphysis, femoral acetabular impingement and developmental dysplasia of the hip
- Foot problems, including clubfoot, tarsal coalition, vertical talus, accessory navicular, and flat feet
- Congenital and traumatic limb deformities, proximal femoral focal deficiency (PFFD) and limb length discrepancy
- Congenital hand conditions, including trigger thumb, syndactyly and polydactyly
For questions about diagnosis and treatment for conditions not listed above, please call our office for further information.
Treatments We Offer Include:
- Posterior spinal fusion, spinal deformity growth modulation surgeries
- Growth friendly spine surgeries
- Pediatric knee arthroscopy, medial patellofemoral ligament reconstruction, tibial tubercle osteotomy, ACL reconstruction, and meniscus repair
- Bracing, casting, and surgical fixation of pediatric fractures and dislocations
- Bracing, soft tissue releases, osteotomies, and fusions for neuromuscular conditions
- Multi-disciplinary approach to the treatment of spina bifida
- Osteotomies and surgical hip dislocation for various hip disorders
- Ponseti casting for clubfoot, surgical treatment of various foot problems
- Guided growth and limb realignment for limb deformities
- Trigger thumb and syndactyly releases, polydactyly excisions
Find the Best Orthopedic Care for Your Child
At Ochsner Hospital for Children, our team provides exceptional pediatric orthopedic care for your child. Our physicians would be glad to meet with your family and help you find the answers you need.
- Dr. Lawrence L. Haber, Pediatric Orthopedics, Spine Specialist
- Dr. Sean Waldron, Pediatric Orthopedics & Pediatric Sports Medicine
- Dr. Paul Celestre, Pediatric Orthopedics, Spine Specialist
- Dr. Leslie Sisco-Wise, Pediatric Orthopedics, Hand Specialist
- Dr. Misty Suri, Hip Specialist
- Dr. Mark Meyer, Bone Cancer Specialist
- Colleen Story, NP, Pediatric Orthopedics
- Anna Strahan, NP, Pediatric Orthopedics