Ochsner Baptist Pulmonary Rehab
Pulmonary rehab adds value to your life. Ask your doctor if this program is right for you!
What is Pulmonary Rehab?
Pulmonary rehab is a multidisciplinary program of care for patients with chronic respiratory impairment that is individually tailored and designed to optimize physical and social performance and autonomy.
As lung reserve declines, dyspnea worsens and independent daily activity performance erodes. Pulmonary rehabilitation provides multidisciplinary training to improve the patient’s ability to manage and cope with progressive dyspnea.
Although pulmonary rehabilitation efforts are often focused on patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (chronic bronchitis and/or emphysema), other conditions appropriate for this process include, but are not limited to, patients with asthma, interstitial disease, bronchiectasis, cystic fibrosis, chest wall diseases, neuromuscular disorders, ventilator dependency and before and after lung surgery for transplantation, volume reduction or cancer.
Range of Services
- Initial evaluation to determine patient needs and desired goals. Administer six min walk test to evaluate dyspnea index; resting and max heart rates; and oxygen saturation pre/post exercise.
- Breathing retraining exercises (pursed-lip and diaphragmatic breathing)
- Stretching and warm-up routines followed by a total of 45min aerobic exercise using stationery bikes and treadmills
- Upper body strengthening exercises utilizing an upper body arm ergometer and free weights
- Education covering the respiratory system, COPD, physical therapy, nutrition, psychosocial issues, medication and activities of daily living
- Exit evaluation to assess patient’s progress and continued need for therapy
Outpatient Pulmonary Rehabilitation
Participation in a pulmonary rehab program can be the start to a new beginning.
Requirements for program acceptance:
- Physician order
- Pulmonary function study done within the last year
- Smoking cessation or a willingness to quit
Do you have or know someone diagnosed with COPD?
- Chronic bronchitis
- Cystic Fibrosis
- And other lung diseases that can cause shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
Give us a call and start your new beginning! We can help you, ask your doctor.
2700 Napoleon Ave.
New Orleans, LA 70115