- Initial evaluation to determine patient needs and desired goals. Administer six min walk test to evaluate dyspnea index; resting and max heart rates; and oxygen saturation pre/post exercise.
- Breathing retraining exercises (pursed-lip and diaphragmatic breathing)
- Stretching and warm-up routines followed by a total of 45min aerobic exercise using stationery bikes and treadmills
- Upper body strengthening exercises utilizing an upper body arm ergometer and free weights
- Education covering the respiratory system, COPD, physical therapy, nutrition, psychosocial issues, medication and activities of daily living
- Exit evaluation to assess patient’s progress and continued need for therapy
Ochsner Health is a system that delivers health to the people of Louisiana, Mississippi and the Gulf South with a mission to Serve, Heal, Lead, Educate and Innovate.