If you’re having symptoms, go to the ER or call 9-1-1. It is extremely important that if you or someone you know is showing signs of stroke, remember the acronym BE-FAST to lower the risk of death or disability:
- B is for balance – Is the person unable to maintain proper balance?
- E is for eyes – Is the vision affected? Are the eyes deviated to one side?
- F is for face – Is your face drooping?
- A is for arms – Can you lift both arms?
- S is for speech – Are you slurring your words?
- T is for time – Call 911 immediately.
The Ochsner Neuroscience Institute’s Comprehensive Stroke Center is the leading center for stroke care in the Gulf South.
Ours was the first center in the region to be named a Certified Comprehensive Stroke Center by the Joint Commission and the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association. Our award-winning quality has earned us a national ranking in Neurology & Neurosurgery by U.S. News & World Report for eleven years in a row and America’s 50 Best Hospitals for Vascular Surgery Award by Healthgrades.
This certification confirms what our patients and their loved ones already know: When stroke symptoms appear, Ochsner is where you turn for quality care that leads to quality outcomes.