One in every 20 Americans over the age of 50 has a blockage in the arteries bringing blood to their legs know as peripheral artery disease (PAD). The goal of the vascular medicine subspecialists at Ochsner is to identify disease early, intervene early and avoid or delay major surgery with minimally invasive, cutting-edge therapies.
Much has happened in this area of medicine since your grandmother’s day. Today, doctors have the availability to diagnose and address peripheral vascular diseases and conditions earlier than ever – before they can limit lifestyle or require surgical intervention. Early detection and treatment can improve the quality of your life, keep you independent, and lessen your chances for heart attack, stroke, amputation and even death.
With education, advanced treatment options, and by encouraging healthy lifestyle choices, the Ochsner team is empowering our patients to lead longer, healthier lives.
Why Vascular Medicine at Ochsner?
With the only dual-provider, fellowship-trained vascular medicine program in the Gulf South, Ochsner is truly on the leading edge.
The Ochsner team is comprised of dedicated individuals with a passion for preventing vascular disease in all parts of the body. Patients here receive one-on-one consultation and treatment plans tailored to their unique needs.
Our team has special expertise in endovenous laser therapy (EVLT), radiofrequency ablation (RFA) and sclerotherapy. What’s more, we are actively involved in clinical trials that involve clotting, arterial and venous disorders
If you've been told you need surgery to save a limb or even your life, we can offer a second opinion from a non-interventional standpoint. And if it turns out you do require more invasive treatment, our team can provide a seamless care transition to one of our interventional colleagues here at Ochsner.
Find Out More about Vascular Medicine at Ochsner
To schedule an appointment with one of our physicians, call one of the following numbers:
- Greater New Orleans Area & Metairie: 504-842-4168
- West Bank: 504-595-8020
- Kenner & River Parishes: 504-842-7434
- Northshore: Covington, Mandeville or Abita Springs: 985-875-2828
- Slidell: 985-639-3777
Diseases and Conditions Treated
The Vascular Medicine team at Ochsner specializes in the diagnosis and management of the following diseases and conditions:
- Blue toe syndrome
- Carotid Bruits
- Carotid stenosis
- Difficult-to-control hypertension
- Embolic events
- Foot ulcers
- Hand ulcers
- Hypercoagulable states
- Leg swelling
- Leg throbbing and aching
- Leg ulcers
- Renal artery stenosis
- Rest pain in legs
- Spider veins
- Subclavian steal syndrome
- Superficial thrombophlebitis
- Upper and lower extremity arterial insufficiency
- Venous insufficiency
- Venous thromboembolism including deep venous thrombosis and pulmonary embolism
- Varicose vein treatments including sclerotherapy, ultrasound guided sclerotherapy and endovenous catheter based procedure
Diagnostic Tests Available
- Abdominal/mesenteric artery ultrasound
- Aorta and peripheral artery ultrasound
- Arterial mapping studies
- Arterial physiological testing of both the upper and lower extremities
- Carotid artery ultrasound
- Carotid Intimal Medial Thickness (IMT) Assessment
- Intra-operative duplex ultrasonography
- Lower extremity graft surveillance
- Pulse volume recordings of the lower and upper extremities
- Renal artery ultrasound
- Vascular screening studies