OCHSNER STORIES & MORE AT BLOG.OCHSNER.ORG
Ochsner was founded in 1942 by one of the most preeminent surgeons of his day – Alton Ochsner, M.D. Dr. Ochsner’s legacy and high standards continue to inspire our surgical team today.
Our board-certified, fellowship-trained general surgeons perform thousands of procedures annually in our state-of-the-art surgical suites. Their skill in handling even the most complex procedures has made Ochsner the top referral center in the region, attracting patients from Florida, Alabama, Mississippi and beyond.
Accolades and Accreditations
- Nationally ranked #24 in Gastroenterology & GI Surgery by US News & World Report
- Received 2018 Innovator Award from the Association of Community Cancer Centers. Ochsner is One of Only Seven Programs Nationwide to Receive an ACCC Innovator Award.
- The Bariatric Surgery Program at Ochsner Medical Center on Jefferson Highway has received accreditation from the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program and is a Comprehensive Center.
Make an Appointment
To make an appointment for a consultation with an Ochsner general surgeon, schedule online via MyOchsner or call 1-866-624-7637. Same-day appointments may be available.
Types of Surgeries
Contrary to the name, general surgeons at Ochsner are specialists in not just one but several areas of expertise.
Our Specialty Areas Include:
- Achalasia (a disorder that makes it difficult for food and liquid to pass into the stomach)
- Acute Care/ICU
- Advanced GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease)
- Esophageal disorders
- Adrenal disorders
- Parathyroid disorders
- Thymus disorders
- Thyroid problems
- Enterocutaneous fistula (an abnormal connection between the intestinal tract or stomach and the skin)
- Cholecystectomy (laparoscopic gallbladder removal)
- Gastrointestinal surgery
- Gastroparesis (prevents improper stomach emptying)
- Hernia repair
- Hiatal hernias
- Minimally invasive laparoscopic procedures
- POEM procedures
- Mole removal
- Port placement
- Skin cancer/melanoma
- Enlarged spleen
- Colon disorders/diseases
- Pancreas disorders/diseases
- Surgical oncology
- Peritoneal dialysis catheter insertion
- Surgical weight loss, including Orbera® – Intragastric Balloon Therapy.
Learn more about surgical weight loss at Ochsner
Need reassurance that your surgery is necessary? Get an expert second opinion from one of the top general surgeons in the region. Learn more.
Patient Referrals and Hospital Transfers
Patient referrals and transfers are critically important, and we want to make it easy for referring providers and their staff. To refer your patient for a clinic appointment, call our Clinic Concierge in our Regional Referral Center at 855-312-4190.