Ochsner Pediatrics offers a level of pediatric care unmatched in Louisiana for everything from well-child check-ups and immunizations to cancer care and heart transplants. At Ochsner Hospital for Children, the only thing tougher than the problems we treat are the children themselves.
Why Ochsner for Pediatric Care?
For the fifth year in a row, Ochsner Hospital for Children has been ranked among the Top 50 Children's Hospitals in the country for pediatric cardiology and heart surgery specialties by the U.S. News and World Report. Our capabilities are more advanced than any other children's hospital in New Orleans. And, as part of Ochsner Health, the leading health system in the Gulf South, we have received national recognition for clinical quality and patient safety.
Ochsner Hospital for Children is Louisiana's only ranked children's hospital. You can count on us.
Why Choose an Ochsner Pediatrician?
Pediatricians at Ochsner Hospital for Children are focused on the care, diagnosis and treatment of children from birth to 18 years of age. Our general pediatricians and their staff are committed to enhancing the health and well-being of all our tiniest patients. Before your delivery, it's important to select a pediatrician for your newborn.
Our pediatric team prides themselves on establishing lasting relationships with each of our patients and their parents and families. We help parents manage their child's health through prevention and education. As your child's physician and advocate, our pediatricians focus on your child’s healthcare needs. Our physicians are specially trained to solve complex diagnostic problems and manage chronic illnesses. When other medical specialists are needed, our general pediatricians collaborate and coordinate to serve as consultants in your child’s care.
Schedule an Appointment
We are accepting new patients for appointments. Our pediatricians provide prospective parent appointments to help find the right pediatrician for your child and family. We also offer extended hours for appointments in the early morning and evening and virtual care visits are also available.
Click here to schedule online or call 504-842-3900.
Are you looking for a pediatrician?
Use our online search to find a pediatrician for you.
Have a question after hours?
Call our 24/7 nurse care line at Ochsner On Call: 1-800-231-5257.
Ochsner Hospital for Children Is More Than Just One Hospital
- 125-bed children's hospital within a hospital
- Conveniently located on the Ochsner Medical Center campus on Jefferson Highway
- A special Pediatric ER (Emergency Room)
- Boh Center: The Michael R. Boh Center for Child Development is dedicated to improving the lives of children and adolescents with developmental disorders
- Eight dedicated locations for Outpatient Pediatric Therapy, including speech, physical, and occupational therapy from our team at Ochsner Therapy & Wellness
- 21 locations throughout Louisiana and Mississippi providing pediatric services both virtually and in person
- New Orleans
- Baton Rouge
- River Ridge
- McComb, MS
- Jackson, MS
- More than 150 pediatric physicians, all trained and experienced in health problems specific to children, from birth through adolescence. Find a pediatrician.
- Advanced specialty care in 30 pediatric specialties and sub-specialties. This is the place to find specialists including: a pediatric gastroenterologist, a pediatric oncologist, a pediatric cardiologist, a pediatric pulmonologist, a pediatric urologist, a pediatric neurologist and more.
- Quality care with elite-level outcomes: Our Congenital Heart Disease program had a 100% survival rate in 2018. Learn more about our patients' high survival rates.
Our Pediatric Firsts
- First and only children’s hospital in the Gulf South to perform pediatric heart transplants and pediatric liver transplants
- Fourth hospital in the country to have Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO), a treatment that uses a pump to circulate blood through an artificial lung before being returned to the blood stream.
- First and only hospital in the Gulf South to perform in-utero surgery
- First to perform valve replacement surgery
- A state-of-the-art center for child development
- Opened in 2018, The Michael R. Boh Center for Child Development offers personalized, family-centered patient care in one location. Our care team works together to evaluate, diagnose and create individualized treatment plans for children with neuro-muscular or physical disabilities as well as neuro-cognitive, behavioral and communication related conditions.
Ochsner On Call
Not sure if you need the ER or a doctor’s visit? Call Ochsner On Call for assistance after hours. Specially trained registered nurses and physicians are available to discuss your concerns and help you decide if your child's symptoms require a trip to our Pediatric ER or a visit with a physician.
Call 504-842-3155 or toll free 1-800-231-5257.
When your child is an Ochsner patient, you can use MyOchsner, a secure online tool that will connect you to your child’s physicians, healthcare team, and secure medical records. Using the convenient MyOchsner website or app, you can:
- Email your doctor
- Make and change appointments
- Request prescription refills
- Print immunization and medical records for school and camps
- Check your test results
Connecting to care online has never been easier. You can now schedule virtual visits through your MyOchsner portal to meet with your physician for various issues that do not require an in-person visit. Review frequently asked questions for Pediatrics virtual visits.
At Ochsner, we pride ourselves on getting not only the big things right, but on doing the little things well. Things like:
- Scheduling multiple appointments on the same day so you miss less school or work
- Getting test results to the right doctor ahead of your appointment time
- Not making our patients and their families wait for appointments
We respect your time and do everything we can to make your healthcare experience go as smoothly as possible.
When you communicate with our team through MyOchsner, you can expect to get an answer back quickly -- within an hour, in most cases.
What do I need to do if I’m a new patient?
- Check in 15 minutes prior to your appointment.
- Have both your primary (and secondary if applicable) insurance information available.
- Be prepared to make your co-payment, if applicable.
- Please bring any medications, or a list of medications with dosage and number of times per day they are taken, along with you. Don’t forget to include over-the-counter medications.
- A current list of drugs (formulary) covered on your insurance will also help your doctor make any necessary changes in your medication.
How do I obtain a copy of my medical records?
For instructions on how to request copies of your child’s medical records, click here.
What if I have a problem when my doctor’s office is closed?
If you have a medical concern or problem outside of normal operating hours, please call our Ochsner On-Call at 504-842-3155. Ochsner On Call provides appointment booking, health education, and advisory services 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Specially trained registered nurses are available to discuss your health care concerns, to help you decide if your symptoms require going to the emergency room for assessment or a visit to a physician, and to recommend appropriate self-care techniques.
How does Ochsner keep track of immunization records?
Ochsner participates in the LINKS program, also known as the Louisiana Immunization Network for Kids Statewide. It is a computer-based immunization information system administered by the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals. The purpose of LINKS is to coordinate immunizations among health care providers to assure adequate immunization levels and to avoid unnecessary immunizations.
What if I need to cancel or reschedule my doctor’s appointment?
Out of consideration for other patients who may need the appointment time, please give Ochsner at least 24 hours advance notice if you are unable to keep your appointment time.
What is a virtual visit?
A virtual visit is a secure video appointment with your doctor via your smartphone or tablet. This allows patients to conduct a traditional office visit with their provider electronically through their MyOchsner app without leaving home or work.
How do I schedule a virtual visit with my pediatrician?
What are the technical requirements for a virtual visit?
You must have a mobile phone or tablet with a front-facing camera and iOS or Android operating system. Download the MyOchsner app on your device and select Ochsner Health as your healthcare provider. You can find the MyOchsner app in the App Store (iPhone) and Google Play Store (Android).
How do I start a virtual visit?
Before your visit, complete the ePre-Check in the MyOchsner app to verify your insurance, demographics and sign the Telehealth Consent Form. Click on your appointment to view the details and allow access to your camera and microphone. Select ‘Begin Visit’ in your appointment to enter a virtual visit waiting room until your provider joins the appointment. View the complete steps here.
I am a new patient. Can I do a virtual visit with an Ochsner pediatrician?
Some visit types can be done virtually for new patients in Louisiana. To schedule a virtual or in-person appointment, call 1-866-624-7637 or access the MyOchsner portal.
What conditions can be seen during a general pediatrics virtual visit?
Virtual visits are a convenient option for appointments related to the following conditions:
- Development/behavior (feeding, potty training, sleeping disorders)
- Pink eye
- Seasonal allergies (sneezing, congestion, itchy eyes, itchy nose)
- ADHD follow up visit
- Visit follow up
- Perspective parent & pediatrician meet and greet
Appointments requiring a physical exam, diagnostic test or procedure should be scheduled as an in-person visit. These conditions are appropriate for in-person visits:
- Well-child checks
- Ear pain
- Wheezing or cough
- Falls or head injuries
- Severe pain of any kind
- Nausea and vomiting
- New ADHD
- Joint pain or swelling
What conditions can be seen during a specialty pediatrics virtual visit?
Virtual visits are a convenient option for many follow up appointments related to the following conditions:
- Cardiology: post-op follow up, arrhythmia, new referrals for loop recorder or ablation, dysautonomia, POTS, palpitation, syncope, blood pressure, hypercholesterolemia, single ventricle
- Endocrinology: Vitamin D deficiency, obesity, transgender follow ups, osteoporosis, hypothyroidism, irregular periods, diabetes, hypoglycemia
- Appointments requiring a physical exam, diagnostic test or procedure should be scheduled as an in-person visit. These conditions are appropriate for in-person visits: panhypopituitarism, adrenal insufficiency, congenital adrenal hyperplasia, short/tall stature, precocious/delayed puberty, gynecomastia, thyroid cancer, hyperthyroidism, goiter, rickets with bone deformities
- Hematology/Oncology: any cancer or hematology diagnosis except for lymphadenopathy which should be seen in person
- Palliative Care: cognitive behavioral therapy, solution focused therapy, psychoeducation, psychological assessments
- Gastroenterology: follow up visits for abdominal pain, celiac disease, colitis, Crohn’s, inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), constipation, diarrhea, failure to thrive/growth problems, general gastroenterology, liver, pancreatitis, reflux, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), heartburn, vomiting
- Neurology: follow up visits for epilepsy, general neurology, headaches, memory disorders, movement disorders, traumatic brain injuries
- Pulmonology: follow up visits for asthma, cough, wheezing
- · Genetics
- BOH Center: ADHD follow up, autism assessment, behavioral training, consults for learning challenges
What does a pediatrics virtual visit cost?
The cost is the same as an in-person visit, as covered by your insurance. As with an in-person visit, you will be billed for co-pay at the time of your virtual visit (where you can pay online) or after the visit is completed. Contact your insurance provider for covered benefits.
What are the advantages of a virtual visit?
A virtual visit provides the same Ochsner experience with added convenience. The physician will do a comprehensive visit with each patient to determine next steps for their care.
- Host an Event for Ochsner Hospital for Children
- Staying at Ochsner
- Immunization schedule - English
- Immunization schedule - Spanish
- Insurance Accepted
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Medline Plus
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU)
- Pediatric ER
- Follow Ochsner Hospital for Children on Facebook