Every 60 seconds, someone in the United States dies from a heart-disease related event. In fact, more people in this country are diagnosed with heart disease than from all forms of cancer combined. The statistics are staggering but they don’t tell the whole story.
There is hope and it’s closer than you think. It’s right here at Ochsner. With treatment options so revolutionary they aren't available anywhere else in the region, the award-winning team at Ochsner is dedicated to changing and saving lives, and helping our patients fight back.
Why Cardiovascular Care at Ochsner?
Ochsner’s team of cardiologists and surgeons work closely with each patient to develop a customized healthcare plan that is both targeted and effective. From routine diagnostics to specialized procedures, Ochsner heart specialists are equipped to provide optimum care in cardiovascular medicine.
Offering new and innovative ways to manage chronic conditions such as hypertension, diabetes and congestive heart failure, Ochsner’s Digital Medicine program allows real-time patient data to be shared with a care team via smart technology, enabling immediate medical and lifestyle adjustments.
With the only dual-provider, fellowship-trained vascular medicine program in the Gulf South, Ochsner is truly on the leading edge. The Ochsner vascular surgery team is comprised of dedicated individuals with a passion for preventing vascular disease in all parts of the body. Patients here receive one-on-one consultation and treatment plans tailored to their unique needs.
We are continually searching for ways to improve overall patient care. The Department of Cardiology participates in over 100 clinical trials with research goals of advancing knowledge of the mechanisms, diagnoses, and treatments of cardiovascular disease.
What's more, Ochsner has successfully completed its 1,000th heart transplant. With the completion of the 1,000th heart transplant, Ochsner joins the ranks of 13 other prestigious health care systems across the United States to have reached this milestone – Cleveland Clinic, Duke University, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, University of Pennsylvania, to name a few.
If you have a heart condition, don't delay routine care. Click here to learn more about taking care of your heart during COVID-19.
- Ochsner is a Five-Star Recipient for Pacemaker Procedures in 2018 from Healthgrades
- Our VAD program is ranked as a Top Five volume implant center in the nation for 2017 and 2018
- The John Ochsner Heart and Vascular OMC Electrophysiology Lab has received the American College of Cardiology Accreditation for Electrophysiology
The John Ochsner Heart & Vascular Institute (JOHVI)
Named after nationally renowned heart surgeon Dr. John Ochsner, the John Ochsner Heart and Vascular Institute (JOHVI) is a comprehensive cardiac and vascular tertiary care center with multiple locations, making it convenient to connect the communities we serve to the excellent quality care they need.
JOHVI is home to more than 50 cardiologists representing a continuum of care unmatched in the Gulf Coast region. In fact, people from all over the world come to Ochsner for heart care. Ochsner has completed over 950 heart transplants and over 830 non-surgical aortic valve replacement (TAVR) procedures. We are the largest comprehensive center for management of arrhythmias in the Gulf South with over 2,600 procedures performed a year.
Through ongoing research initiatives, physician training programs and clinical trials, JOHVI continues to set the standard for diagnosis and treatment of heart disease. We serve as a destination center for patients across the Gulf South with complex cardiac diseases and as a resource for patients who have been told there are no other options available to treat their heart and vascular condition.
Patients throughout the region benefit from the quality of care only Ochsner can provide at locations in the New Orleans, West Bank, Uptown New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Kenner, River Parishes, Northshore, and Bayou Regions.
Take a Virtual Tour of the Cath Lab
The Cath Lab performs diagnostic and interventional procedures on the valves, structures and electrical system of the heart.
The Lab includes:
- SSCU Exam Room: The Short Stay Coronary Unit is where pre and post-procedure care takes place. Patients are admitted and prepped for their procedure in this area, as well as recovered and then sent home post-procedure from this room.
- Cath / EP Lab: The Cath or Cardiac Catheterization Lab is cardiac diagnostic and interventional where procedures are performed. These procedures focus on viewing the valves and structures of the heart.
- The Electrophysiology (EP) Lab performs diagnostic and interventional cardiac procedures that focus on the electrical system of the heart.
More Options, More Experience
Ochsner is first in the area to offer non-surgical methods of repairing heart valve, state-of-the-art treatment for heart rhythm disorders and laser technology to remove implanted heart devices. In addition, our team provides advanced cardiovascular care for patients with conditions including:
- Advanced Heart Failure including Transplantation and Mechanical Assist Devices (LVAD’s)
- Pulmonary Hypertension
- Aortic & Mitral Valve Disease including Non-Surgical Replacement and Repair
- Peripheral Vascular Disease including Non-Surgical Repair with Stenting
- Stroke Prevention with Carotid Artery Stents
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm repair with Non-Surgical Stenting
- Heart Rhythm Disorders & Pacing and Defibrillators
- Atrial Fibrillation & Other Arrhythmias Requiring Catheter Ablation Therapy
- Adults and Children with Congenital Heart Disease
- Critical Limb Ischemia
- Structural Heart Disease
- Advanced Coronary Diseases for patients with restenosis, and chronic total occlusions
- Heart disease risk factor management, including hypertension and cholesterol management
Procedures We Offer
We offer the following procedures and services, including:
- Adult Congenital Heart Disease
- Aortic Services
- Cardiac Rehab
- Cardio-Oncology Clinic
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Congenital Heart Care
- Congenital Heart Disease (CHD)
- Consultative Clinical Cardiology
- Electrophysiology and Heart Rhythm Disorders
- Heart Failure and Transplantation Medicine
- Heart Failure Digital Medicine
- Heart Transplants
- Hypertension Digital Medicine
- Interventional Cardiology
- Mechanical Circulatory Support (VAD & LVAD)
- Pediatric Cardiology
- Pediatric Heart Transplant
- PET Scan
- Pulmonary Hypertension Care
- Valve and Structural Heart Disease (TAVR)
- Vascular and Endovascular Surgery
- Vascular Medicine
How to Partner with the John Ochsner Heart and Vascular Institute:
- To initiate an inpatient transfer, contact our Regional Referral Center at 1-855-OHS-LINK (1-855-647-5465).
- For fast track appointments at an Ochsner clinic, contact our dedicated physician referral line, at 1-855-312.4190 or by fax at 504-842-8416.
- Also, referring physicians can call Clinic Concierge at 1-855-312-4190 or place orders electronically using Ochsner Provider Connect.
OCHSNER STORIES & MORE AT BLOG.OCHSNER.ORG
1 min read time
What Causes Varicose Veins?
1 min read time
What is Venous Insufficiency?
3 min read time
What is a Vascular Surgeon?
3 min read time
PAD Symptoms and Treatment Options
3 min read time
Social Distancing with Congenital Heart Disease
5 min read time
Coronavirus Information for Heart Patients
4 min read time
Heart Disease Prevention: Six Things to Do Today
2 min read time
4 Tips For A Heart-Healthy Life
2 min read time
Broken Heart Syndrome
2 min read time