Doctors don’t just make you well – they strive to keep you from getting sick in the first place. The goal of the Ochsner Primary Care team is to be there for you when you’re under the weather, and to help you be the healthiest you the rest of the time.
Why Choose Ochsner for Primary Care?
Top Doctors. More Coordination. Better Resources.
We are making healthcare easy. One huge advantage of having a primary care doctor at Ochsner is our electronic medical record. Wherever you go in the Ochsner network, your medical history goes with you and is accessible by specialists, urgent cares and ERs all across the Gulf South. With our technology, diagnoses can be made more quickly, and there is a better chance that the team is making the right decision.
We are also making it easier to connect you to your doctor at any time with MyOchsner. You can call or message your doctor, schedule appointments, submit refill requests for medication and schedule preventive health reminders to help you stay on track. MyOchsner also allows you to view your results and connect your family to your records and treatment team.
Connecting to care online has never been easier. You can now schedule virtual visits through your MyOchsner portal to meet with your physician for various issues that do not require an in-person visit. Review frequently asked questions for Primary Care virtual visits.
Your Primary Care Team
Ochsner is configured as a patient centered medical home model and is committed to providing patients with comprehensive medical care at a higher quality and lower cost. Your dedicated medical team includes your primary care physician, nurses, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, medical assistants, diabetic educators, dietitians, pharmacists and care coordinators.
We also have social workers on staff who can set up home health services, get you the home equipment you need, find you a support group, if needed, and more.
At Ochsner, your Primary Care team will monitor and track your health over time. We’ll help you lead a healthy lifestyle and watch for issues or changes that need to be addressed. If your doctor determines that more specialized care is needed, we’ll make sure you’ll get it. We’re part of a team that includes more than 90 medical specialties and subspecialties.
During times when your preferred provider is unavailable, we offer local provider support. Our primary care doctors work as a team. If convenient access to your physician is not available for scheduling, you are offered an appointment with his/her APP or direct physician partners, followed by access to system wide available appointments or virtual or urgent care when appropriate.
Your Ochsner doctors and their team members provide:
- Your annual health checkup (annual wellness exam) and complete physicals
- Treatment of acute conditions
- Coordinated care of chronic conditions
- Referral access to sports medicine, back and spine, and physical therapy
- Diagnosis and management of diseases
- Seasonal allergy treatment
- Annual flu shots and immunizations
- Health risk assessments
- Same-day, next-day and weekend appointments
- Virtual visits
- Self-management technology
- Extended hours in most areas
- And more
When specialty care is required, we focus on excellence and coordination. Ochsner Health offers access to virtually every subspecialty. Our specialists share their plans with your primary care physician, including detailed visit notes and any orders requested.
See a Physician as Early as Today!
Schedule an appointment.
Contact Ochsner On Call to make an appointment or speak with an RN, 24/7, at 800-231-5257.
Or give us a call at 866-624-7637 to schedule an appointment.
Find a health center offering extended hours, primary care or urgent care on this list.
We provide coordinated care to help you reach your specific healthcare goals. Teams in your area may include:
- Digital health programs, which focus on practical home management of your chronic medical conditions such as hypertension or diabetes.
- Behavioral Health virtual or in-person access to counselors or psychiatry providers for therapy or medication management for those dealing with depression, anxiety or other behavioral healthy challenges.
- Diabetes support, including diabetes education, medication training and nutrition
- Clinical Care Coordinators who provide preventative medicine outreach to patients for upcoming or overdue preventative screenings, such as colonoscopies, mammograms, vaccinations or disease specific labs.
- Medical fitness referrals from your provider to an Ochsner Fitness Center for nutrition, fitness and exercise planning.
- Weight loss management through various providers who specialize in either medical or surgical weight loss options.
What is primary care?
Many people wonder about the difference between the three types of primary physicians: Internal Medicine doctors, Family Medicine physicians and General Pediatricians.
Internal Medicine Physicians typically care for adults 18 years and older. Family Medicine Physicians care for children as well as adults, and General Pediatricians care for babies and children up to18 years of old. All three manage health and wellness and chronic illnesses and can solve complex diagnostic illnesses.
Find A Doctor
Find A Location
We provide excellent primary care at our community care and primary care clinics. Click here for locations.
Ochsner Primary Care was able to rapidly adjust and manage the COVID-19 pandemic. We created drive up testing sites, a digital symptom tracker and a nursing COVID-19 phone line to better care for our community during this unprecedented time. Our primary care team is staying up to date with coronavirus information from our Infectious Disease and hospitalist teams as well as the Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Our team has also:
- Increased testing to handle 1/3 of states testing load
- Developed ground-breaking research in real time to assist with pandemic management including local COVID-19 prevalence studies and evaluation of racial disparities in care
- Sourcing innovative solutions for disease prevention such as copper infused fabrics used to create superior fabric masks
Ochsner On Call
Not sure you need to go to the doctor? Ochsner On Call is a special service that provides health education and advisory services 24 hours a day, seven days a week by calling 1-800-231-5257. Registered nurses are waiting on the line to discuss your healthcare concerns and help determine if your symptoms require a visit to a physician or a trip to the emergency room.