Calling all Science Teachers!
Ochsner Education Outreach, with support from the Brown Foundation, has professional development available for certified science teachers at all grade levels, K-12. The NGSS and Louisiana State Standards for Science focus on students’ abilities to do science rather than just basic knowledge of science facts. Inquiry-based teaching methods help students apply science information to answer questions and solve problems.
Our Encouraging Inquiry Teacher Professional Development Workshop builds your confidence in inquiry-based teaching practices. Through shared examples, small group activities and hands-on experiences you will learn techniques to develop student curiosity, critical thinking and engagement with science.
As part of the workshop, teachers will attend a PAID full-day workshop where they will:
- Learn about inquiry-based teaching strategies
- Evaluate inquiry-based practices for implementation in your classroom
- Experience a standards aligned lesson and hands-on activity that uses inquiry-based methods
- Design an assessment focusing on the science & engineering practices
- Receive a kit containing the materials for the lesson and hands-on activity to share with your class!
Teachers who participate in the full-day workshop will receive a stipend of $150. Teachers accepted into the program are expected to attend the full day, complete the post-assessment, and implement the hands-on science kit in the classroom.
We understand that implementation of inquiry-based strategies will look different for students in different grades. Therefore, one workshop will focus on educators teaching in grades K-5 and another for those teaching grades 6-12. Please apply for the workshop that best fits the grade level you are currently teaching.
November 2, 2019 Grade K-5 teachers
New Orleans, Louisiana
Sign up here to receive an email when the application for the K - 5th teacher professional development is posted.
January 25, 2020 Grade 6-12 teachers
New Orleans, Louisiana
Sign up here to receive an email when the application for the 6th - 12th teacher professional development is posted.
Acceptance into the workshop is first come, first served based on the date the application is completed. Applicants must meet the following requirements to be accepted into the workshop:
- Currently teach science in a Louisiana school
- Hold a valid Louisiana teaching certificate for the current grade you are teaching Types of Teaching Authorizations & Certifications
- Submit the complete application including the Principal Authorization